Bank holiday parking

KB posted on the 2/04/2018 11:44:11 AM

So nice to be able to get parked and to not have to manoeuvre around badly parked cars anywhere and everywhere.

I'd welcome permit parking if it made our streets like this every day.

#1 - Paul replied on the 2/04/2018 9:52:32 PM

Yes - what a difference. Let's keep up the pressure on councillors and other representatives, in the hope that resident's permit parking for Dennistoun happens sooner rather than later.

#2 - anon replied on the 3/04/2018 11:34:01 AM

Yup, try parking a car in Dennistoun on a normal weekday compared to the bank holiday, the argument about Victorian tenements and high density etc etc doesn't stack up. Permits are the answer.

#3 - Chief replied on the 4/04/2018 10:59:37 PM

Permits are not the answer // people can park where and when they like just like any one from dennistoun going elsewhere to visit friends family etc. Even with permits there would still not be enough spaces for the amount cars and permit would not guarantee you a space to park. How about we just stop anyone new moving to dennistoun if they have a car.... no didn't thinkso

#4 - Si replied on the 5/04/2018 2:39:19 PM

Permits are SO the answer... It works in other parts of Glasgow and other towns/cities so why not in Dennistoun...

#5 - Graham replied on the 5/04/2018 3:58:25 PM

I strongly feel that permits are the answer. And we need to make sure that Dennistoun gets them.

#6 - KB replied on the 5/04/2018 9:15:35 PM

What can we do to help get them?

I have complained loads but it doesn't seem to make any difference. No enforcement even where there are yellow lines or restrictions and complaints just get ignored.

#7 - Si replied on the 6/04/2018 10:37:13 AM

The biggest problem is City Park... It shows you that it is a major contributor to the problem when the traffic disappears on a holiday...

#8 - Boo replied on the 6/04/2018 10:38:08 AM

So where do people from Dennistoun park when they visit other places or will they just leave their cars at home and get the bus...?

#9 - rthcthn replied on the 6/04/2018 11:33:07 AM

I lived in Dennistoun for 8 years I have moved further east to Carmyle as we were priced out of bigger flats when it came to having a family. I regularly still come into Dennistoun for my children's nursery, shopping and eating. Permits everywhere would stop me coming into Dennistoun except to do drop off and pick up at nursery. Although where I would get to park to do this would be another question! Permits are not always the answer.

#10 - GA replied on the 6/04/2018 8:47:52 PM

Boo - Hopefully we can use our cars freely and park in appropriate places when we go elsewhere without being as inconsiderate as many of the people that park in our area are. It will simply be nice to be able to be able to park sensibly in the area we live in. This isn't possible at the moment due to the volume of commuters abusing the area and the difference over the bank holidays was amazing on my street too.

rthcthn - Permit parking in other areas allows for short stay parking or visitor for the things you describe. I'm sure you would still be able to shop, drop off, visit friends or eat in Dennistoun.

Permits would fix A LOT of problems for me as well as making Dennistoun a much nicer and safer place to live in.

#11 - Onslow replied on the 9/04/2018 1:11:37 AM

Yes, maybe the bank holiday made it easier to park because CityPark was quiet. OR, and this is a wild idea but hear me out, maybe it's also because many Dennistoun residents were themselves off for the Bank Holiday and were out for the day.

I arrived home at 3 on Monday and it was indeed easier to park. I went over to a friends house and on my second return that day at 10pm, parking was "normal" and I had to park a few streets away. Now that's hardly the fault of CityPark workers or football fans heading to Parkhead, or whoever else the Parking Boogeyman de jour is.

There are more cars here than ever before. More than the streets of Dennistoun really have room for. And it's an issue across pretty much every area of Glasgow with tenement buildings, narrow streets and on-steet parking. Unless your residency predates widespread adoption of the car, you knew what you were getting in for when you bought or rented a flat in the area.

Personally, I think residents permits is a terrible idea. Throwing some money at the council to give you a sticker for your car may give you the warm and fuzzies, but do people really expect this to be enforced by GCC on a consistent basis outside of match days when they can rake it in. I admire people's optimism, but I'm not convinced.

#12 - wullie replied on the 9/04/2018 12:10:19 PM

ref to post #11 I couldnt agree more,in regards to the parking permits you are making a rod for your own back.There have been parking permits in the west end for ever and it hasnt solved the problems,If the council was realy concerned then why did they do away with thousands of parking places between morrisons and belgrove street,the majority of those car owners now park in dennistoun!

#13 - Tom replied on the 13/04/2018 3:28:38 PM

Permits are definitely the answer (i.e. a Residents Parking Zone RPZ).

If we all contact our local councillors and ask for their support to get a Dennistoun RPZ it would definitely be a massive help.

#14 - mark replied on the 14/04/2018 2:18:08 AM

I don't have any skin in the game because I don't drive but I have to admit I don't really see what difference permits are supposed to make. Anecdotally at least, my partner is 99% of the time able to park their car if arriving home at say 6pm after work, but if we're out late and come back at 10pm that's when it's very difficult to park and we have to go a few drives up. Workers wouldn't be around at that time, so presumably the parking issue is caused by residents - so with an RPZ would we not just end up having to pay for a permit but to no real benefit?

The only benefit I can see would be that there would be less cars parked on the drives during working hours. But who cares about that?

#15 - KB replied on the 14/04/2018 6:54:34 PM

Those of us that want to be able to use our cars during the day and be able to get parked in the area if we come back before 6 pm care!

I know some streets will still be busy and we might not all get parked immediately at our front doors but I think the situation has gotten so bad that permits are the only option.

#16 - Onslow replied on the 15/04/2018 12:20:41 PM

100% agree, Mark. I think people massively overstate the benefits of residents parking permits. Friends in the West End subject to similar schemes don't rate it. An additional expense with still no guarantee of being able to park nearby.

My impression is that it's a fairly vocal minority who want permits for the area. And they seem to be labouring under the assumption that it will solve all parking woes and they'll be permanently parked at their close door. With no consideration to costs, impact on local businesses we all depend on and should support or logistics.

Parking permits don't guarantee you can park on your street or near your flat. It just ensures non-residents aren't parked there. Assuming enforcement is carried out regularly and thoroughly, which is hardly assured with GCC. It's an "I'm alright, Jack" attitude that I don't think is particularly helpful. We should have a survey to see how many people actually want to pay to keep "non-locals" from parking nearby.

And good luck to those who call for permits when your chickens come home to roost, and the plumber/electrician you've called out phones you and says they can't get parked nearby and are cancelling the job (happened to friends in RPZ's in Glasgow).

#17 - Anon replied on the 18/04/2018 10:13:10 AM

Personally I am against permits - who can afford them? If we have to park a few streets away from home, so be it - it's not a right to be able to park right outside the house, it's a privilege.

#18 - anon replied on the 19/04/2018 12:00:56 AM

having had to try and park this evening at 9:30 I can't help but think if people parked and acted with a bit more sense the issue of parking would not be as big. If you park at the end of the street park as close as possible to the double yellows, not half a cars length from them. same again for parking near disabled bays, the bays are marked big enough that you can park close to the bay.

Also if we all kept an occasional eye on our cars out in the street toes if there are gaps which are big, but not a cars length then head out and move your car closer to another car.

Permits will not solve anything as the biggest problem is at night when we are all home, so all permits will do is give us the privilege of paying £50-£60 a year for the same problem we have now.

#19 - Anon replied on the 19/04/2018 1:03:18 PM

Would help too if people didn't have un mot'd cars they don't use anymore littering the streets . The dvla will do something about them if they are untaxed but it's a police matter if no mot or insurance.

#20 - John replied on the 25/04/2018 12:30:27 AM

Even with permits you will still not be guaranteed a parking space.
Although you will be forking out money to finance GCC.

#21 - Fiona replied on the 26/04/2018 9:16:44 PM

Agree with comment 18 - there is a lot of silly parking on the drives - I regularly have to drive past gaps of 2-3m and see cars parked 2-3m away from where double yellow lines begin. Occasionally this can't be helped because of the way others leave their spaces but a lot of the time people simply aren't thinking about others. In some European cities there seems to be an unwritten rule about leaving your park brake off so cars can be moved along to make best use of space..and bumpers really are bumpers! Whilst I am not advocating that I do think people need to consider the general need for spaces and park with this in mind.

#22 - Anon replied on the 27/04/2018 4:29:13 PM

Permits seem to work in every other city in the UK, you would think they would work in Dennistoun. The big irony is that if you look at some of the cars parked in the area they have residents parking permits for their own area (including as far away as Edinburgh)! So its ok for people to come park their cars for free in our area, to residents detriment, then they can go home and use their permit?

Tradesmen can get visitors

Another aspect of permits is that it has to be enforced, so some of the idiotic and selfish parking that goes on at the moment would be stopped.

Regardless of bank holidays, on a Sunday, at anytime of the day or night, there is sufficient parking in the area. Why do i refer to Sundays? because thats when there are no parking charges on Firpark Street and the surround area. City Park may not be in, but the Royal Infirmary is.

Where the council covered the wasteground around Morrisons in double yellow lines, and introduced parking charges which surround Dennistoun they should have finished the job and introduced residents permits.

West end residents may moan about their scheme, but guaranteed they dont want to lose it.

There is no small vocal minority, every resident in my tenement is in favour, we are fed up with the parking problems, the litter from commuters (drink cans, McDonalds thrown out the windows) and the bad parking and damage caused to other cars - all witnessed and experienced by the residents of my tenement and for which they have complained to the council about for many years.

For tradesmen, there is a visitors permit scheme. I would say it cant be any worse than it is at the moment.

#23 - The Mentalist replied on the 28/04/2018 12:42:41 AM

It's not "your area". If there are no lines, then ANYONE can park. You think all residents park safely? Far from it. Permits in Dennistoun move traffic out further to Parkhead, Riddrie and Carntyne. They then get permits and it moves further out to Stepps or Hogganfield. Until Glasgow has a fully comprehensive, 24 hour bus, train and underground, commuters will use their cars. You could argue why do people so close to the city centre own cars. You buy in Dennistoun, you KNOW parking is at a premium. You want your own space, move to a house with a driveway.

#24 - Anon replied on the 30/04/2018 3:52:25 PM

Frankly, it is my area! Of course it is, i take an interest in it in a way that no commuter does as this is my home. All the litter in my street comes from commuter parked cars throwing their rubbish out the window (as repeatedly witnessed and evidenced). Do any of the commuters attend community council meetings, or report litter, or take any interest? How many of those commuters are commenting here on this forum?

Permits in Dennistoun may move commuter parking elsewhere, but not residents parking. Are those who work at City Park going to park at Parkhead? Doubt it, they might instead rethink and use public transport.

Glasgow (and Dennistoun) has a good public transport system already - evidenced by all the commuter parking during the day around Bellgrove train station by those who dont want to pay city centre parking charges. 24 hour public transport wont make any difference to those who work at City Park or the GRI.

I am pretty sure there arent many residents in Dennistoun who own a car so that they can drive it into the city centre and pay for parking. Is it not the workers in the area who rather than use public transport drive into the area?? But we criticise residents for having a car?

Everyday i see cars parked in Dennistoun displaying parking permits from the west end and even Edinburgh - they have a residents permit for when they take their car home, why bother with expensive public transport to get to work when you can park for free!

Nobody is asking for the right to park their car outside their flat, just be able to get close to it.

Take note, the council implemented a raft of traffic restrictions around Dennistoun - parking charges on Duke Street, the Parade, Firpark Street (Mon to Sat!), and double yellow lines around Barrack Street, the Barrack St double yellow lines were to force cars to use the empty multi storey on the High Street - they just park around Bellgrove and use the train. All done with no thought on the effect on the residents of Dennistoun - and all of which was done after I moved into the area. Is it not right for residents to react, to ask for a solution?

To reiterate, parking permits seem to work in every other city (including Glasgow). Folks in the west end may complain about their permits, but i have never heard of any wanting to close their scheme.

#25 - Anon replied on the 30/04/2018 4:14:56 PM

Hands up those who have driven to the west end, Edinburgh or elsewhere, seen an empty space and then realised it was permit only space that you couldn't use? Rather a lot of us i suspect.

#26 - On Wrongslow replied on the 2/05/2018 11:10:56 PM

Permits aren't the answer, that's giving the council money just to park where we can park already for free. What we need is painted bays (yes getting the council to do that
Is less likely), people have no idea how to park properly. On a regular basis I do see people leaving large gaps between cars which causes a knock on effect down the street. I did challenge someone one day (who coincidentally worked in City Park) and asked them to park more
considerately as parking is a premium in the area... their response? They didn't really carefully as they didn't want their car damaged (partially agreed with this as I have had my car damaged before) Bay Parking, permits, spikes in the road for people who can't park..who knows what will solve the parking issue here.

#27 - CV3V replied on the 7/05/2018 10:58:29 AM

@26 - in the west end they now have painted bays, i am guessing it was required for the combination of permit parking / pay and display parking spaces to be correctly enforced. When i have worked from home i have seen on 3 occasions (so far) cars bumping into other cars whilst trying to park, and then driving off somewhere else.

#28 - john replied on the 7/05/2018 1:26:54 PM

Very much against permits. My wife and I both have a car and we live in the Drives. I very much doubt you would receive a permit per resident.

#29 - Anon replied on the 7/05/2018 4:25:40 PM

You receive a permit per car, you need to prove that you have a car at an address that qualifies. Has anyone actually lived anywhere with a permit scheme and thought it a bad thing? Thoughts would be appreciated!

#30 - malc replied on the 7/05/2018 5:50:04 PM

I expect to enrage a few folk with this but there's no way we should expect one permit per resident. 1 permit per flat should be the usual. If you're a household with 2 or more cars then you should seriously think about whether you need them, and if you think you do then perhaps you should live somewhere with a drive and / or garage.

#31 - Wrongslow replied on the 7/05/2018 9:18:38 PM

Even if the council went ahead with the Permit system, it would probably be 1 per household with a 2nd issued through a second round of permits and not be guaranteed. But do you
Really want to be the council £100+ a year when you park for free just now? Also with the new laws making it potentially illegal to park on pavements (which in Dennistoun, is more the Rule than the execption) no amount of parking permits will solve that looming problem.

#32 - CV3V replied on the 7/05/2018 9:20:08 PM

Having lived in Edinburgh in an area with parking permits, you have to apply for a permit and prove where you live and prove the car belongs to that same address. Permits don't guarantee you a space, but they give you a much better chance of finding one nearby. Cars have to park properly because the bays are painted, and you dont get to park on the pavement either, and the permit fee goes towards ensuring parking wardens enforce the scheme.

When the council considers permits for an area they have to consider its financial viability i.e. if they spend the cash (traffic order costs, consultations, painted bays, wardens, admin) can they recoup the costs through the scheme, its not about the council making a profit, the assessment is about not making a big financial loss.

If you have visitors or tradesmen visiting you can get a temp permit for them.

#33 - CV3V replied on the 21/05/2018 2:55:04 PM

Saw on Sunday that the parking wardens were out on Firpark Street and Wishart Street, any cars not parked in a painted bay were all ticketed.

#34 - GA replied on the 31/05/2018 4:37:38 PM

About time! They should be on Firpark & Wishart Streets every day. Early mornings and evenings as well as during the day. Cars abandoned all over the place and it's really not safe.

It's interesting to see some of the differing views about permit and resident only parking on here. I doubt very much that permits would fix everything or be a perfect system but I do think they would help to improve our area.

You can reply to the post Bank holiday parking by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin