milk in schools

jeanette posted on the 6/12/2020 4:03:30 PM

Can someone please settle an argument. Did secondary schoolchildren get free milk at school in the early 1960's as well as primary schoolchildren?

#1 - MilkMan replied on the 4/01/2021 4:54:47 AM

I was in secondary in the 80s and I didn't get free milk at all.

#2 - Ian replied on the 8/01/2021 3:33:26 AM

I'm pretty sure Jeanette wanted to know about the 60's---not the 80's.

#3 - Iain Robertson A.K.L N.Z. replied on the 8/01/2021 4:07:18 AM

I went to Golfhill school in 1948 and we got free milk, however I do not recall getting it in secondary school.
Iain.

#4 - jeanette replied on the 8/01/2021 6:09:04 AM

I've just found a web site that gives details of free milk in schools. It's called Do You Remember.co.uk and apparently free milk was available to all schoolchildren until Harold Wilson cut it out for secondary kids. I wasn't sure about it either Iain but my husband claimed he didn't get any at high school. He must have since he's about your age.

#5 - Alan replied on the 8/01/2021 5:27:08 PM

We never got it at Whitehill senior secondary around the late fifties.

#6 - James Robertson replied on the 28/05/2021 8:52:43 AM

Milk was provided only to primary school children. I attended Alexandra Parade primary from 1955 to 1962 and then Whitehill SS from 1962 to 1968. Milk was delivered in the early morning. In winter the milk would freeze and push off the foil caps. I was a' milk monitor', essentially free child labor ! We carried the crates to the classrooms and placed the bottles on the radiators to thaw - you can imagine the smell ! Summer was no better as the milk went off in the sun - yes, we did get some warm days even in the 50's and 60's. Happy memories of days gone bye.

#7 - Kenneth McFarlane replied on the 30/06/2021 4:09:59 PM

Just on a tangent I attended Haghill primary from 1963 to 70 and for a time was a milk monitor. Once all the milk had been delivered, me and my partner in crime (can't remember who) would chuck the remaining cartons over the top floor to enjoy the splat as they hit the gym area. No doubt our parents were called for and we'd get skelped!

You can reply to the post milk in schools by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin