Alexandra park

Alan posted on the 27/02/2021 10:38:18 PM

Another for old-time Dennistoun people anyone remembers the band rotunda in the golf course? the sound shell on the hill behind the fountain? and in 1953 the huge firework display on the golf course to celebrate the Coronation, then there are the prefabs in the park opposite Aberfeldy st, all gone now.

#1 - Mick replied on the 7/04/2021 4:43:55 PM

I remember the band rotunda it was next to the pitch and putt course ,

#2 - Jim Maxwell replied on the 12/04/2021 4:23:27 PM

Was there two band stands at different times? I remember one being where the sand pit and see-saw now is. The seating was around the deep slope of the surrounding embankment.

#3 - Alan replied on the 13/04/2021 10:49:41 AM

The one on the golf course was demolished in the 1950s at around the same time as the flag pole was demolished as it was considered dangerous not sure about the sound shell, you would never know now how it was fifty years ago.

#4 - Alan replied on the 15/04/2021 9:40:31 PM

Although I was not around then I was told that anti-aircraft guns were in the park on the golf course to deal with Nazi aircraft who were bombing the shipyards on the Clyde also I was informed that a German bomb landed n Haghill school playground but fortunately it did not explode.

#5 - Margaret Blair nee Telfer replied on the 26/04/2021 10:07:02 AM

Yes, I remember the Park. For a short while in 1946 I attended the Qualifying class at Alexandra Parade School which was a primary school. I lived at 89 Armadale Street with my aunts Isabella (Belle) and Helen (Nell) Telfer and Helen's husband David Brown. I used to go to Alexandra Park in 1946-47 to run around with the Diacks. Maisie was in my class at Alexandra Parade School. Being in the park was like being in the country. There was no awareness of buildings or smog; mainly grass and trees and birds. It was lovely to go there.

You can reply to the post Alexandra park by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin