Alexandra Park - Dog attack?

Jim posted on the 30/05/2016 2:08:48 AM

Hi

I visited Alexandra Park last weekend and was very impressed. A beautiful space, well looked after, and friendly people. Stunning memorial fountain.

However, the visit brought back a dark memory and it’s been bothering me since as I'm trying to track down the date. Also, my memory may be inexact. Perhaps you can help. I have a recollection that the Park was the scene of a fatal savaging of a child by a dog or dogs, sometime in the 1970s or 1980s, a terrible incident that understandably had an impact across the city and beyond. I've tried to find reference via Google without success.

Does this ring a bell?

Thank you.

Jim

#1 - den replied on the 31/05/2016 9:51:06 AM

I have lived in Dennistoun since the 70s and I have never heard of this, are you sure it was Alexandra park

#2 - The Mentalist replied on the 31/05/2016 1:01:07 PM

I don't remember this but I do remember a dead baby was found in the duck pond. Must be over 10 years ago now.

#3 - Anon replied on the 1/06/2016 7:13:46 AM

The incident you refer to happened around 1974/75. It took place on the golf course at the back of the park. Two Alsatians escaped from a yard near the fruit market and ended up in the park where they attacked and killed the young boy. Two of my friends were playing golf at the time and tried to fight the dogs off with golf clubs,sadly without success.

#4 - Anon replied on the 1/06/2016 7:28:32 AM

Just to add to my answer above, I'am now sure that it was during the Glasgow Fair 1974.

#5 - Dennistounian replied on the 1/06/2016 11:43:17 AM

How awful to hear!

#6 - The Mentalist replied on the 1/06/2016 2:35:16 PM

Had a wee look in the google archives and there are some newspaper articles about it. There's also some interesting articles about a couple of young boys killed by a local older lad. I'd never heard about it before.

#7 - FixedandDilated replied on the 3/06/2016 3:29:56 PM

I had a look on the Google archives and saw the article too. Horrible. Poor wee boy.

The dogs' owner tried to prevent them being PTS but was overruled.

#8 - Jim replied on the 4/06/2016 1:12:37 PM

Many thanks for the replies. Yes, the 1974 attack is the one I was thinking about.

#9 - Ian Baird replied on the 12/03/2023 8:37:42 PM

I remember this I played in the park I was 11 , both dogs chased the boy to the pond if I recall correctly, it was tragic my mum wouldn't let me go to the park for weeks.

You can reply to the post Alexandra Park - Dog attack? by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin