Car Vandals Whitehill Court/Garthland Drive

Matthew posted on the 17/10/2015 11:22:50 PM

Hi there just a quick message if anyone knew anything about the car vandals that struck this morning in Whitehill Court and Garthland Drive. Me and my girlfriend woke up to the banging of two youths trying to smash in a car parked right next to our flat's building and upon getting out of bed to call the police another man had already done so however unfortunately I think the vandals got away in time just before the police car drove up.

It was two young hooded males (one black and one blue hoody) who after being told to F*** off by a neighbour replied with the same comment (no respect or shame!). Upon leaving the flat to drive to work fortunately my girlfriend's car was okay however at least 3-4 cars had visible damage to them in our car park (windows smashed in) and upon leaving Whitehill Court and turning up Whitehill Street a police car was stationed at the entrance to Garthland Drive and stopping motorists trying to get up there which can only be described as a sad sight of smashed glass and damaged cars.

Any further information would be greatly appreciated and hopefully the Police get them!

#1 - anon replied on the 18/10/2015 2:16:55 PM

Hi. This is awful. I am in Whitehill Place and got woken up by banging early yesterday morning. Thought it was someone trying to kick a close door in, so looked out but saw nothing. There must be others who heard this too. Hopefully someone did see something and reports it.

#2 - craig replied on the 18/10/2015 2:17:51 PM

Another 6 cars smashed on alexandra parade near co-op. Crazy

#3 - James replied on the 18/10/2015 2:59:50 PM

And one car with window smashed by bricks on circus drive.

#4 - Chris replied on the 18/10/2015 9:46:09 PM

Same vandals dented my car on Garthland in a number of places and also smashed a few windows on other cars. They were using road traffic signs to hit the cars. Police came and took my statement on Saturday morning as I saw them do it. The cop said that they caught the 2 youths and they had damaged a number of cars around Dennistoun.

#5 - Matthew replied on the 18/10/2015 9:53:49 PM

Thanks for comments people hopefully the Police have a bit more information as my girlfriend advises they were back today questioning neighbours who may have further information.

#6 - Concerned replied on the 19/10/2015 12:48:24 AM

I hope they have caught them. Disgusting, pointless behaviour.

#7 - Catsmaw replied on the 19/10/2015 12:47:53 PM

I saw 2 cars with smashed windows on Craigpark, Sat morning too.

#8 - Custard's Last Stand replied on the 19/10/2015 7:48:43 PM

I live on Garthland and was awoken by the little charmers just before 6.30. I did witness them "on the job", as it were, but their hoods were up so no good for identification.

As they approached the end of Garthland Drive, I saw a man walk up Whitehill St and glance over at them as they were swinging mightily at a car bonnet with a road sign. So if anyone got a swatch at their faces, I imagine it would have been him.

#9 - Peter replied on the 20/10/2015 2:26:33 PM

Got to wonder the ages of these thugs. I always say that between 4:30 to 7:00 is the dodgiest time to be out around here.

#10 - Naasty replied on the 26/10/2015 8:09:45 AM

Its still happening. A different bunch were sniffing around Whitehill Street this morning, starting car alarms, about 4am.

#11 - Anon replied on the 28/10/2015 5:21:22 PM

Are the police patrolling the area Naasty? If not, maybe a call to them would up their game and prevent this from happening.

#12 - anon replied on the 28/10/2015 11:32:14 PM

The police seem to be making noises about tackling this problem, but there does not seem to be much impact. Given the population density of Dennistoun they should be pouring resource into this problem.

#13 - anon replied on the 6/11/2015 12:45:19 PM

There were kids throwing stones at cars on Duke Street (by the park) I wonder if they were the same kids. Shame not much can be done about them!

#14 - anon replied on the 7/11/2015 5:12:45 PM

@anon But there isn't a park in Duke Street

#15 - ruthtr replied on the 7/11/2015 5:23:13 PM

Yes is there across from the old abbatoir next to the tennents factory.

#16 - danny replied on the 8/11/2015 2:43:10 PM

+ruthtr
um sorry but that's not a park, its just a bit of urban greenspace, a bit like vacant ground. if you want to see a park go to Alexandra park on Alexandra parade, a bit of grass and a few trees and bushes don't make a park

#17 - ruthtr replied on the 8/11/2015 8:59:45 PM

So benches and a play park counts for nothing... Oh well I will have to tell my son who enjoys playing there!

#18 - PH replied on the 8/11/2015 10:51:23 PM

@danny

Yes there is a play park on Duke Street.

#19 - anon_l replied on the 9/11/2015 5:40:57 PM

Danny I'll think you'll find you're wrong. Theres a playpark just before(or after dependant on direction) lidl.

#20 - jan replied on the 11/11/2015 12:05:29 AM

Sorry but Danny is right, a kids "play park" is not the same as a public park.
But the REAL issue of this thread is the teenage car vandals, does no-one have a decent description of them, I remember a while back someone posted a thread on here about a neighbour on hillfoot street who had fixed a cctv camera to film cars going the wrong way up hillfoot street into the houses at Whitehill place, maybe she has the boys on film doing this - has anyone checked ?
I don't want to lose my no-claims because of some bored yobs

#21 - Siobhan replied on the 26/01/2016 9:42:49 PM

My car rear window was put in last night. Just googled and found this site I'm so relieved now I know it wasn't personal. My car is in a back car park off Finlay drive. Little ****s. The police should have more patrol if it's happening this often.

#22 - Alan replied on the 26/01/2016 10:47:47 PM

Hi Siobhan, I believe it was your car that was parked outside my flat. I never actually saw it happen but I heard it. I saw 3 young boys a few minutes prior to it happening however I didn't really see their faces so I couldn't point them out. Was it a golf club I saw lying on the road next to your car?

#23 - HotRod replied on the 27/01/2016 1:07:03 PM

Police are useless (no surprise there) feeling unsafe about my car is now a common occurrence in the area... do I have to get the old bat out? it's got that bad. What is wrong with this generation? Gone down the swanee that's what I say. National service help sort em out?

#24 - anon replied on the 28/01/2016 12:15:50 PM

the problem is all the gangs of children running about without a car in the world for the police say. It is not easy to see how to solve the problem. Local businesses are being badly hit too

#25 - Siobhan replied on the 28/01/2016 6:09:40 PM

Hi Alan, do you live on Finlay drive? What night did it happen? I didn't use my car from Sunday afternoon and didn't see it at all Monday so I didn't see my car till Tuesday morning and that's when I saw the window, so I don't actually know if it happened Sunday or Monday. I'm never using the back car park again now you'll notice I'm always parked out the front now and leaving a blind open. My old car got scratched badly with a key and just a few weeks ago they unscrewed my reg plates off but never took them! Strange! I only park there when I can't get a space at the front. I'll use the one across the road if I can't get parked out the front now. It is scary this can't keep happening. We should do an nightshift and catch the wee feckers ourselves!

#26 - Alan replied on the 28/01/2016 6:52:17 PM

It happened on Sunday at about 7/8pm. I really wish I saw their faces but I just heard a smash however I can't even say who it was as I didn't see it.

Yes, I'm in the tenements across from the new builds on the one way street. I firmly believe this is just wee boys with nothing better to do except cause people misery and cost. The police need to be here more often, especially now we are only a few months away from summer they will be out every night.

Can the DCC please raise this at the next meeting re: the amount, but also to the extent of which cars are being vandalised in the area.

#27 - Concerned replied on the 28/01/2016 9:46:43 PM

I don't know how the Police cannot be seeing all of this damage. Police circle the Calton and Duke Street all day. Unmarked cars, the lot. No excuse.

#28 - Anon replied on the 28/01/2016 9:47:36 PM

What about reintroducing the Antisocial behaviour dispersal order? That worked wonders when it happened way back. I would vote for that to come back into place definitely.

#29 - Siobhan replied on the 28/01/2016 9:50:45 PM

No way can't believe it happened at that time and I didn't see it till Tuesday! Thankfully nothing as value inside! Thanks for the info. What's the Meeting you're taking about? Cheers

#30 - Siobhan replied on the 28/01/2016 11:48:33 PM

If every time it happens and the police are informed they have to do something surely. Everyone on this chat, have you all reported it if it's happened to you? I'm surprised the police didn't tell me it had happened before, they must have known I was feeling insecure thinking it was personal.

#31 - Alan replied on the 28/01/2016 11:49:03 PM

The DCC hold a monthly meeting and the police are generally there. The minutes for all the previous meetings are on this site.

#32 - Jen red replied on the 29/01/2016 9:06:07 AM

Oh this is just terrible! I'm glad I never learnt to drive, at this rate the local bus is proving much less stressful. Despite the unsavory characters that sit down the back!

#33 - HotRod replied on the 29/01/2016 1:06:06 PM

It's a far cry from the glory days of the neighbourhood watch... Maybe it's worth banding together to keep a watchful eye on the ruddy bandits?

#34 - Community Councillor replied on the 1/02/2016 8:48:06 PM

For anyone unsure about 'DCC' or 'next meetings'...

The next Dennistoun Community Council (DCC) meeting, on the 9th February, at 7pm, Haghill Park Primary School, 415 Cumbernauld Road, G31 3LS.

Police (and all members of the public) are invited to all (and, indeed, attend nearly all) DCC monthly meetings and report on whether there are any areas of crime that are of particular concern. They also answer questions from those present. It's very possible that this issue is raised. Of you can her along to a meeting to raise the issue personally, along the better.

More info available at dennistouncc.org.uk - meeting info and minutes, and much much more besides (and you can also find us via the Dennistoun Community Council link in the column to the left of this page).

#35 - Fiona replied on the 2/02/2016 5:48:33 PM

My partner's car just had the driver's window in their car smashed in on Armadale Street near Duke Street. Glove compartment ransacked, luckily nothing of value in there. And when I went to park my car on Roslea Drive near Armadale Street this morning there was smashed glass there which had obviously come from another car window. This is getting ridiculous. Where are the police, why is nothing being done? We've had a total of 4 bikes stolen in the last few months as well, which were secured with heavy duty kryptonite D Locks and the police appear to show willing but just do not do anything to sort the problem, or keep in touch with victims to let them know any progress or how they are handling these incidents / what changes they are making to their procedures in the light of the problems. It's so, so poor that we have to live like this in Dennistoun.

#36 - Anon replied on the 2/02/2016 11:57:07 PM

I'm assuming this is why the police van is parked on Finlay drive tonight?

#37 - Siobhan replied on the 3/02/2016 5:59:38 PM

Hi, the police called me yesterday to advise they would be patrolling the area (I live on Finlay Dv) but asked me to ensure any suspicious behaviour gets reported to them. The more complaints they have the more they will act and hopefully catch these scumbags. Anything that yous see please report it. So they have to be seen to be doing something. Sorry about your car Fiona mine got done last week, it's so annoying.

#38 - anon replied on the 3/02/2016 10:58:21 PM

You do realise that if the police do catch those little **.**s then the police will only be able to give them a slap on the wrists and they will be back on the streets smashing more car windows the next night, the worse that can happen to them will be that joke that's called community service.
Does anyone know how to start one of those online petitions demanding that hooligans like those get the birch (caned), you can still get the birch on the isle of man for minor crimes like this, time to bring it over here, I would sign it

#39 - HotRod replied on the 5/02/2016 8:38:38 AM

That was 1976 m8. Times have moved on unfortunately. You'd get done by the PC brigade for that these days #nannystate

#40 - Siobhan replied on the 25/03/2016 8:17:05 PM

My close door got smashed by three teenagers last Monday midday. They're still out there!

#41 - Anon replied on the 25/03/2016 9:19:39 PM

Has it been reported to the police? More reports = more police presence.

You can reply to the post Car Vandals Whitehill Court/Garthland Drive by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin