Celtic Match Parking

Frank Plowright posted on the 13/12/2016 10:12:03 PM

A consultation process has begun regarding car parking on Celtic match days. The preliminary proposal is that free resident permit parking will apply within a radius of 1 kilometre of Celtic Park. The 1km radius would only extend into the bottom of the Reidvale area in Dennistoun, but parking problems extend a fair bit beyond that, and representations are best made early in any consultation process. If you feel this affects you, there is to be a drop in public consultation on Thursday December 15th between 2pm and 8pm at the Legacy Hub on Springfield Rd where officials will explain proposals and listen to suggestions.

#1 - Anon replied on the 14/12/2016 1:37:02 AM

As much as this is annoyance to myself just would people grow up all these motorist pay road tax like anyone else and have a right to park legally where ever they wish. When you ever go to place and have to park on a public road do you stop to think oh this could be the parking spots of locals

#2 - ANON replied on the 14/12/2016 10:12:57 AM

as above the legal parking is fine - the parking on pavements and double yellows by football fans is not!

#3 - The Mentalist replied on the 14/12/2016 10:43:12 AM

I agree with Anon, it's not as if they are parked there for days at a time. Get over it. You live in Dennistoun, a vastly built up area. You're not going to get parked outside your close all the time. Built before cars unfortunately. The terrible parking restrictions on Duke Street have done for several local businesses.

#4 - Malarki replied on the 14/12/2016 8:41:15 PM

No such thing as road tax. It's vehicle excise duty. Roads are maintained by local authorities who receive money from central government and from council tax, so it's the general tax payer who pays for roads not car drivers specifically. 2011 census data suggests just under 50% of households in Glasgow have access to a vehicle which means the other 50% are arguably subsidising car drivers. My main issue is car drivers who park on pavements both damaging them and restricting access for pedestrians and where restrictions exist often blocking potential access for emergency services. If car drivers can't act responsibly then measures need to be taken to control their behaviour - probably the many suffering due to the actions of the few but that's a familiar story.

#5 - Anon replied on the 15/12/2016 10:22:44 AM

It would help if the traffic wardens worked on match days and ticketed illegally parked cars but they seem not to which allows people to park illegally wherever they want without an ounce of consideration about how that ambulance/fire engine will get past them!

#6 - The Mentalist replied on the 15/12/2016 10:27:04 AM

"control their behaviour". Scary stuff...

#7 - Chb replied on the 16/12/2016 11:08:11 AM

You either implement parking restrictions at all times or not at all. Targeting football fans like this is just bizarre.

#8 - Anon replied on the 16/12/2016 12:33:43 PM

Who is targeting football fans? The traffic wardens are always ticketing people and getting cars lifted in Dennistoun, just never on a match day!

#9 - David replied on the 16/12/2016 12:34:59 PM

Parking spaces are a fixed resource, and when demand for a resource outstrips supply you need to manage how it's allocated. If people can't be sensible about it then systems need to be put in place. Nothing "scary" about that.

Football supporters aren't being specifically targeted - they're just the ones responsible for the spike in demand. If Celtic Park suddenly started hosting any other well-attended regular event the same problem would exist and would have be dealt with in the same way.

#10 - anon replied on the 19/12/2016 1:02:57 AM

i'd happily pay a nominal amount (in the same way people around the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital have) to have a permit for my cars. I don't have an issue with football parking spikes...the parking near me is dreadful ALL the time and I don't mean directly outside my close. I mean within the 6 or seven surrounding streets.
The council are always looking at ways to make money...so implementing a system of permits would benefit them. Residents would have to pay for them, they could enforce and remove illegally parked cars AND it would discourage commuters who park and walk into town from parking in the area. They'd either have to pay to park in a GCC owned car park or some other solution.
All this rubbish about 'parking legally' is a nonsense. It's fine to say it's legal, but it's inconsiderate for people who LIVE in the immediate area. All that needs to do happen is for a sensible (and financially beneficial) proposal to be put forward to the cash strapped GCC and they'd implement it.

#11 - The Mentalist replied on the 19/12/2016 9:31:32 AM

Living in an area does not give you the automatic right to park there. Dennistoun is a high traffic area. Passing trade for local business is important.

#12 - Mr Anderson replied on the 19/12/2016 9:55:17 AM

Dennistoun is a mostly historical area built before cars were so dominant. I think to complain of not having enough space to park your plural cars outside your house is the height of selfishness. What about your neighbours? Where are they going to park their car? When do you stop being so granular?

You can reply to the post Celtic Match Parking by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin