How about a park/allotments on abattoir site?

Malarki posted on the 3/05/2014 7:30:54 PM

Was looking through some of the local planning applications the other day and noticed that the Collegelands plan which included new housing on the old abattoir site was revised by the developers after talks with the council back in January. The associated documents are pretty long but a scan through suggests that the developer has given up on housing on the abattoir site for the time being as apparently there's not the demand in the current economic climate (?!?). Have also noticed over the last couple of weeks that the big signs announcing the arrival of the development at the corner of the site at Bellgrove have been taken down. Therefore seems the site likely to remain vacant for the foreseeable future.

Given the demand for allotments in the area, the lack of green spaces for kids at that end of Dennistoun, the need for places that people can exercise their dogs and general benefit it would have for the community as a whole, wouldn't it be good if this substantial site could be given over to at least short to medium-term use as a park and allotments with amenities to meet the needs of all of those groups? Of course it would need some resources to achieve this, but given that the council were planning to spend £15 million on George Sq. and backed off, couldn't they find a few hundred thousand to enhance one of the main routes to the main Commonwealth Games site? DCC?

#1 - anon replied on the 3/05/2014 11:01:26 PM

that's a brilliant idea! i have always wondered why nothing was happening on that site. it would be wonderful to bring some useable green space to a very grey and industrial street

#2 - Mort replied on the 4/05/2014 10:05:25 PM

I think we had a wee thread on this very subject a while back. Such a great idea to turn it into a park space in an area so heavy on the concrete.

Let's reclaim the land - strimmers in hand.

#3 - The Mentalist replied on the 4/05/2014 10:06:03 PM

I'm sure I read that one of the big house builders owns the land but is sitting on it meantime.

#4 - Jen replied on the 4/05/2014 10:06:44 PM

It would be amazing to have the space developed. Unfortunately I'd imagine that if the ground was used as an abattoir for many years, the soil would not be safe/suitable for growing vegetables. I do think that it's a huge waste of space though and a bit of an eyesore. A park might be a more workable solution.

#5 - Malarki replied on the 4/05/2014 11:35:36 PM

Didn't think I would be the first to suggest this although I don't remember that particular thread. In terms of ownership, the developer for the whole collegelands site is the Dawn Group so it might be them who own it too, although the fact that they're saying that there's no demand in the revised plan might be a sign that they could give it over for a time ... the Dennistoun Dawn community park? Nothing like some good publicity is there ... and failing that there's always guerrilla gardening ... the abattoir if anything could mean the soil has extra nutrients - believe bone meal and other abattoir bye-products are used a fertilizer.

#6 - Malarki replied on the 5/05/2014 12:12:31 AM

If you are interested in the updated collegelands plan, you can find it in the docs on the GCC planning site under this reference - 14/00095/DC. Mostly it's about the High St end of the development as doesn't seem that anything is happening at the Dennistoun end.

#7 - The Mentalist replied on the 5/05/2014 9:12:44 PM

Looking at other forum subjects,  perhaps it should be a car park.

#8 - GlasgowFarm replied on the 3/08/2017 3:53:34 PM

Hello fellow Dennistounians,

We also think it would be brilliant to open up this space for public use, at least while the planners and architects are getting their things in order....which may take some time. We were thinking a combination of wild/park land and some veg growing space for the community, maybe even a kids petting zoo? We've created a website to gauge interest in this idea and we are talking to Stalled Spaces about whether this could actually work. www.thepeoplesfarm.co.uk - get in touch! Alis and Callum

#9 - Jacq replied on the 3/08/2017 8:00:19 PM

The land falls under the Calton rather than Dennistoun so not sure how much input we can have as Dennistoun residents.
The community council have been working on this for a couple of years at least - check the minutes listen on the website for a picture of how that all panned out.
It is currently listed as vacant and in GCC possession on the vacant land doc.
Would be amazing to have access to this piece of land for leisure use.
Jacq - Chair Dennistoun Community Council

#10 - CV3V replied on the 3/08/2017 8:01:21 PM

Glasgowfarm - great idea, but would need to see the results of the site investigation that the council did last year to see what/if any contaminated soils are present on site. Perhaps worth speaking to council DRS to ask if, from a contaminated land point of view its viable, even if not there would be ways to get over any issues (but would cost).

You can reply to the post How about a park/allotments on abattoir site? by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin