Parking in the drives

chb posted on the 20/11/2014 3:40:46 PM

Before going through the official channels I thought I'd try here first...

I was wondering if anyone has ever enquired about parking permits for Dennistoun? I live on Craigpark Dr and parking can be an issue during the week when workers from the City Park use the street for parking. Has this issue ever came up? Was planning to pop along to the DCC meeting but if it's a non-starter I won't bother.

Also street cleaning has been planned on Craigpark Drive for today with the relevant parking restrictions on place and "no waiting" cones placed out, but I'm sitting at my window watching people park their cars on the street anyway and walk into the City Park. Doubt this would happen if there were permits issued to residents.

Any info would be great,
Ta

#1 - Dennistoun Community Council replied on the 20/11/2014 4:36:18 PM

This subject has cropped up at DCC (and other) meetings and has been a significant issue for some time.

DCC members are currently collating information for our action plan. Traffic management has already been identified as an area for further community engagement and consultation.

DCC will shortly post information about this issue (and others outlined in the action plan). If you are interested in receiving info directly please see recent post, by DCC member Ruth, regarding DCC's social media links.

Stephen

#2 - The Mentalist replied on the 20/11/2014 7:25:15 PM

Parking permits are a slippery slope.

#3 - Malarki replied on the 20/11/2014 8:39:00 PM

I'd started a thread about this issue a while back, focusing on the parking on double yellow lines on corners which interferes with access for emergency vehicles but also mentioning the City Parks problem. Hoping that this might have been a prompt for DCC?

Think I might have also mentioned the ridiculous parking on pavements which is a hazard for those with mobility problems and parents with pushchairs,the parking in or on the chicanes and the lack of any attempt at parking enforcement.

I have no problems with parking permits.

#4 - Dennistonian replied on the 22/11/2014 12:09:47 AM

I wish double yellow lines were in place to the entrance to Dennistoun Village.  I cannot count the  amount of times I have had to walk my buggy and other child along the road rather than the pavement.  There is also someone who lives there who is blind with a guide dog and surely when cars park on the pavement either side that isn't very safe for him.  I also drive and it's sometimes very tricky driving through these cars.

#5 - fiona replied on the 22/11/2014 12:03:21 PM

As a flat owner on Duke street, which has metered parking and no permits for owners I have no choice but to either park on the drives or one of the streets south off Duke street. If these streets then had permit parking it would be impossible for me to park anywhere near my flat and I would find that really unfair for all residents on Duke street who already can not easily park outside their homes. Parking is a real issue in this area but I don't know what the answer is.

#6 - Curious Person replied on the 22/11/2014 3:09:00 PM

Don't you have to pay for a parking permits?

#7 - Alba replied on the 22/11/2014 3:59:09 PM

In regards to Fiona's comment, I live on one of the side streets south of Duke St and since the introduction of the parking meters on the main road it has been chaos. People who work or shop on Duke St park down the side streets now which makes it an issue for residents such as myself and the other car owner in my household. The area is not great so I like to keep an eye our cars but due to the parking issues I cannot even see them most of the time from my top flat window as we are having to park at the opposite end of the street.

Further to that I have parking bays in my street and drivers on purposely take up 2 or even 3 spaces at a time making things even worse. I am going to try and push for lines to be painted on the bays. People also park on the chicanes and a large vehicle such as a fire engine would not fit through in the event of a fire.

#8 - The Mentalist replied on the 22/11/2014 10:23:28 PM

No one has a god given right to park right outside their house or to see their car from the window. I had to park in westercraigs at the top and walk to my GP in Annfield. You just are lucky or not re getting a space. Permits would severely hurt business in the area. The council should actually make companies in City Park and the Royal Infirmary provide more parking for their staff.

#9 - John replied on the 22/11/2014 11:09:30 PM

I don't have a car and am not a driver but as an outsider looking in the way I see it is every owner of a car pays road tax and insurance so this gives them the right to drive on roads and park in any free parking space or road in this city as long as they don't park illegally. If they do park illegally the blue meanies will soon be onto them . So as far as parking permits on free streets is concerned it's a non starter as people in the houses don't own the streets.

#10 - Interested replied on the 23/11/2014 11:27:44 AM

When you think that just one close could easily have 6 cars needing a parking space, you see that unfortunately there isn't really an answer to the problem. There is simply not enough kerbside to go around, and never will be. It is a world-wide problem wherever there is high-density housing without individual drives and/or garages. Good old Dennistoun was built at a time of very few cars on the roads, so was never meant to accommodate the volume that we now have. A great pity, but there it is.

#11 - anon replied on the 23/11/2014 11:31:44 AM

I think if you have owned or rented a home here for a long time before parking was such an issue it can feel a bit more frustrating because you maybe bought/ rented partly because you could park fairly easily and now that has changed dramatically. If you've bought or rented a flat here in the last couple of years you would have known exactly what you were getting in to, parking-wise. If people who have lived in their flats for 20 years with relatively easy parking are now reaching older age and possibly have mobility problems its a shame to ask them to walk half a mile to their car, or have to think about moving because they can't park nearby.

#12 - Kpe replied on the 24/11/2014 9:17:12 AM

I'm fed up aggresively arguing with my neighbours over this. Really a problem that needs to be fixed pronto.

#13 - The Mentalist replied on the 24/11/2014 9:49:55 AM

Having a permit only allows you to park in the area, it does not give you a designated space.   So if you are shelling out, say £50 a year for a space you can't get, then it's a waste of money.

#14 - JAM replied on the 27/11/2014 12:15:03 PM

I live on Craigpark Drive too and find it impossible to park before 6pm at night or if I am out for the night if I oome back after 11pm then I am streets away.

I used to live in the New Town in Edinburgh where residents pay for a street permit for a zoned area (so the drives would be one whole zone including Duke St) and if there were no spaces left then tough you paid to park. However it was very unusual for there to be no spaces.

this had been an area that many shoppers and workers had used and once they knew it was residents only they moved elsewhere. This greatly reduced the parking problem and it worked really well.

Also some of the spaces (about 25%) were residents OR paid at meter so there was always the possibility of short term parking for shop and business visitors.

I think this would be an ideal solution for the drives in general and would address every problem mentioned here.

Look forward to seeing the DCC Action Plan

#15 - mar replied on the 28/11/2014 10:57:50 AM

DCC when you have submitted your action plan would it be possible to post the procedure for reporting illegally parked cars. Never see any traffic wardens patrolling and I'm getting sick of people almost completely obstructing the close entrance by parking on a turning point that is clearly marked 'Keep Clear'.

#16 - curiouscat replied on the 29/11/2014 12:04:27 PM

Citypark apparently have a HUGE underground car park. Why they don't use it, I have no idea...

#17 - Malarki replied on the 22/12/2014 12:22:02 AM

Pavement parking may soon be illegal in Scotland. Living Streets is supporting a draft Bill at Holyrood and you can show your support for it by contacting MSPs using this online form:
e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1719
&ea.campaign.id=18673&ea.submitted.page=1
&ea_requested_action=ea_submit_user_form
&ea_redirect=true&sessionId=2ed5e7f8-35ad-4253-82c6-2f0769a85350

#18 - CB replied on the 22/12/2014 12:22:59 AM

Anyone know how who to report the illegally parked/pavement parked cars to? I would love to see a traffic warden patrolling Craigpark as the parking is ridiculous.

Also, people may find this useful. -
twitter.com/pedestrianlib

#19 - PMC replied on the 23/12/2014 9:18:02 PM

I will not pay for a parking permit. I'd sooner give up my car! This is a principal thing. Us parking outside our homes is not the problem, it's folk who use this area as a handy car park for work access that's the issue. Not helped by NHS GG&C's ridiculously anti-staff parking policies! (I work for them, hence slight bitterness). I've stopped driving to work and now use the train. It may not be ideal for everyone, but try using public transport a bit more. I now only tend to drive in the evenings and weekend, so parking is generally less of an issue. Except after 10pm, or anywhere near the Whitehill Pool, when all the lycra clad fitness freaks park on my street. Maybe if they just walked to the gym, they wouldn't need to pay fees or use their car! Rant over!!

#20 - Journeyman replied on the 27/12/2014 1:41:41 AM

It's an inescapable fact that parking permits can't create more space. So I've no idea how they're seen as a solution to residents wanting to park where and when they want.

Road space is finite. And in an area as densely populated as this, it's more limited than lots of places. But in an area as densely populated as this we have many things that less densely populated places have. You win some, you lose some. And Dennistoun is not a relative loser as far as overall transport options are concerned.

Parking permits can create revenue, though. But do you feel confident that Dennistoun would see a proportionate return on the revenue created by their introduction?

#21 - wullie replied on the 27/12/2014 6:06:59 PM

Does anyone know why the councill put double yellow lines on the numerous steets between duke street and gallowgate in the area near morrisons.
 I know this area is outside of dennistoun,but,because hundreds of parking places were done away with,a lot of these drivers now park in dennistoun.
 For anyone that dosent know the area,there is no houses there so its not as if you are passing the problem to someone else,its crazy,a big massive space wasted,yet in dennistoun its chockers,some steets you have a hard time driving a car along,and, as for a ambulance or fire engine.....

#22 - The Mentalist replied on the 28/12/2014 12:24:42 AM

They did it to make the area more "attractive" for the commonwealth games.

#23 - Concerned replied on the 28/12/2014 11:27:51 AM

At night, it was being used by idiots sitting in their cars with prositutes. Good thing they done away with it before the local residents grabbed one of them.

#24 - Craigy replied on the 29/12/2014 11:03:25 AM

"Good thing they done away with it before the local residents grabbed one of them"

What?

#25 - anon replied on the 29/12/2014 2:39:13 PM

I met with Councillor Jennifer Dunn on this very issue.  Apparently, the introduction of Parking Permits would simply 'move the problem elsewhere'.  The problem doesn't stem from the residents, it stems from the employees based at City Park - certainly for The Drives anyway.  There is plenty of parking available at weekends, but try parking during the week and it's a different story.  Cars parked on pavements and on the chicanes - installed ironically for traffic calming.  I was told I would need 25 signatures from residents to get things off the ground with regards to permits.  There is a solution, just look at the permit parking in place in the West End, which I would say is far more densely populated than Dennistoun.  The problem is City Park so why should we make their problem our problem.  Feel free to write to Ms Dunn to voice your concerns, or better still pay her a visit at one of her local surgeries.
j.dunn@councillors.glasgow.gov.uk

#26 - CB replied on the 4/01/2015 10:59:34 PM

I would support the petition and have written to Ms Dunn to express my concerns.

I am appalled by the continued parking on pavements even after the City Park workers have went home.  Drivers have no respect for pedestrians - we should not have to suffer or worse be the victim of an accident because we have had to move our wheelchairs and buggys on the road to pass the numerous cars on the pavement.

I would vote for more traffic wardens to ticket the pavement parked cars as it is illegal under the highway code to drive on the pavement.

#27 - CB replied on the 4/01/2015 11:04:18 PM

www.change.org/p/non-governmental-bill-s-unit-ngbu-please-
reconsider-your-decision-not-to-support-responsible-
parking-bill?after_sign_exp=member_sponsored_donation

i urge people to sign this petition.

#28 - Malarki replied on the 5/01/2015 12:51:33 AM

CB - pavement parking is not illegal in Scotland, nor is it in most of England and Wales. Only in most London Boroughs is it actually against the law. However, obstruction of the highway may be. Unfortunately everything in the highway code is not law, some is only guidance. See my post above about a proposed bill to make pavement parking illegal - contact your MSP to express your support for it.

#29 - The Mentalist replied on the 5/01/2015 9:24:54 AM

The permit scheme in the west of the city has just moved the problem further west. It is just a fact Dennistoun was built pre-car. If you want a solution, why not demolish some of the tenements. No? How about better public transport. Will never happen until re-regulation. We could get rid of GRI and City Park but that's a loss of inward investment.

So until then its just something we have to live with. A permit is not a parking space guarantee.

#30 - mar replied on the 5/01/2015 2:43:16 PM

The West End was mostly built pre-car as well. It's just a fact that tenement living (unless it's a new build) does not cater for every resident owning cars. Surely the best thing to do would be to engage directly with the companies based at City Park (I do not know if this has been done before) through our local MP/MSP/Councilor to stress that their employees are having a detrimental effect on the local area and it's residents. Companies these days generally get a bit twitchy about any negativity.

#31 - CB replied on the 5/01/2015 2:45:45 PM

Malarki - Thanks for the reply.  I have written to serveral MPs regarding this bill.

Also, it is an offence under the highway code.
As you will be aware driving on the footway (or pavement) is an
offence under section 72 of the Highways Act 1835,

"If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by
the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation
of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass,
sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or
any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall
tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so
as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon."

and is also prohibited by rule 145 of the Highway Code,

“You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway
except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an
emergency.â€

The Mentalist - I don't think just dealing with it is an appropriate response - that just encourages irresponsible thoughtless drivers to park on the pavement causing people with buggies, guide dogs and wheelchairs to resort to using the road.  If there is not enough space for your car - use one of the many car parks nearby or use many of the transport links to get here.  I feel parking permits would solve the City Park problem.

#32 - Rob replied on the 5/01/2015 2:47:24 PM

I tend to agree with above, the roads on the drives cannot accommodate any more cars, talk of permits is like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.
The answer is an attractive well integrated public transport system. SPT used to be the most effective integrated transport system outside of London, before it was de regulated, now it's a mess of stinking ageing buses provided by various operators, over subsidised trains and ferries running out of ports without any integration with either buses or trains. All of which need separate tickets with unfathomable pricing systems.

#33 - anon replied on the 7/01/2015 2:19:23 PM

Mentalist - How will demolishing tenements resolve the parking problem?  The problem arises through office workers using their cars for business purposes i.e. getting to their place of work.  What inward investment are you referring to?  PLC's utilising cheap office accommodation without sufficient parking for their employees?  Parking permits are a viable solution.  If City Park employees have nowhere to park locally, then perhaps they can use public transport or pay to park at the multi-storey located at GRI.  There are plenty of places for them to park - albeit they'll have to pay for it, unless their employer is kind enough to do so.

#34 - The Mentalist replied on the 7/01/2015 6:42:32 PM

Anon, i was being sarcastic re tenements.  Obviously a whoosh moment.   A monthly permit to park in the GRI multi storey is over £130 so is more or less prohibitive.  Permits from the council are a bad plan.  No one has the right to park outside their front door.

#35 - anon replied on the 8/01/2015 8:54:50 AM

No one has the right to park outside their front door yes, but no one has the right to park on pavements or chicanes.  No one has the right to cause an obstruction to the elderly, the infirm or indeed parents with buggies or pushchairs.  No one has the right to wilfully obstruct access for the emergency services, should the need arise.  This is a problem that isn't going to go away (and indeed, will only get worse) unless action is taken.  If parking permits are not the solution, then what is?

#36 - The Mentalist replied on the 8/01/2015 3:12:28 PM

Anon, where in any posting did i say they did have the right.

#37 - anon replied on the 8/01/2015 3:56:17 PM

You said no one has the right to park outside their front door - you are correct, no one does. You're missing the point. I'm not looking at parking permits to reserve a space outside my house. It is a proposal I'm putting forward for the reasons I (and other posters) have outlined above. Motorists are obstructing pedestrians and parking in areas that could potentially put lives at risk. Of course, the council will this with apathy until an incident occurs.

#38 - The Mentalist replied on the 9/01/2015 8:20:01 AM

I can assure you i am not missing the point.  If someone parks on a corner, on chicanes, etc there are already laws in place  to deal with such offences.  Why is the answer to everything in this country more laws,  more rules.  If you want to complain then complain about that. Maybe the parking wardens should do the job we pay them to do.

#39 - Journeyman replied on the 27/01/2015 12:19:51 AM

Section 129 (5) of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 states that it is illegal to drive on the pavement. The position is less clear with regards to casual or occasional parking on the pavements. It is my understanding that 'drive on the pavement' means 'all four wheels on the pavement', rather than just mounting the pavement to park.

The police have powers under Section 137 of the Highways Act 1986, which make it an offence wilfully to obstruct the free passage of the highway, though. So if a pavement is being blocked, call the police and get it reported.

#40 - David replied on the 27/01/2015 6:15:41 PM

It is my understanding that you can park on the pavement unless you are causing an obstruction. The parking rules for the road still apply though so if there are double yellow lines on the road then they apply to the pavement too. This is in contrast to London where it is illegal to park on the pavement. The Highways Act 1835 does make driving on the pavement illegal but not all police forces enforce this law.

#41 - Jophus replied on the 31/01/2015 6:35:25 PM

//
Dennistoun is one the best connected residential areas in the City. Therefore, the need to drive, own Acari is reduced. I live opposite St Dennis primary school and watch parents drive their kids to school from the next street!

City Park provides coach transport for employees to reduce the number of workers requiring to park.

Dennistoun is a great residential area why do some people who choose to live here want to spoil it by cramming the drives and street with cars?
//

#42 - Anon replied on the 15/06/2015 5:53:31 PM

Couple of things - I live and work in Dennistoun - at City Park. Curiouscat - yes there's a car park in the basement, but there are over 3000 people who work at City Park, so as you can imagine, getting a space is nigh on impossible. There are numerous companies who have office space in City Park, and the spaces are split out between them, and City Park management charge the companies for the spaces, so yes, some do go wasted because the companies cant afford the high prices of the spaces in addition to the rent of the office space. Actually, it's only Dell who provide the bus service for City Park, none of the other companies provide any service like it. I fully agree with how frustrating the car parking situation is, between the cars bounced up onto the pavement and you've got to squeeze yourself past them sometimes, but really I've moved to Dennistoun from 30 miles away just to be closer to work, so I can now walk to and from work and save myself the hassle of driving round for 20 minutes to find a space. My colleague has just filled me in that some cars got uplifted today, this delights me, because maybe they'll learn they can't just abandon their cars in stupid places. The last thing I will say though is I've read a few comments today about City Park and they all seem very negative - please dont forget how much money City Park brings to the area - it's the vast number of people who work here who keep the shops busy enough to remain here, not to mention the community work which the companies do. I can only speak for Dell, as I see it on a first hand basis, with community work at Alexandra Parade Primary including the kids coming into the office for visits every 2/3 weeks, litter picking at Alexandra Park to name a few things. They give a lot back too you know

#43 - Janette replied on the 17/06/2015 9:31:20 AM

I approached Pat Chalmers a Glasgow City Councillor who I think might be retired now when this issue first started as part of Citypark getting planning was that staff would all have access to free parking I had then found out that some companies were charging and that is why we have this problem she suggested that residents approach employee's of the companies to find out if that was true but I said thats why they employ traffic control and as it was part of planning the council should have enforced it I don't know how many years it has been opened as I have lived in Craigpark Drive 30 years and as everyone says even when Wills was there it was not a problem . I think the community council and local councillors should have a meeting with the owners of Citypark to make sure the parking spaces they have are getting used free of charge each day to take the pressure of surrounding areas I feel everyone pays enough through road tax and higher insurance premiums to park on the streets witho havin to pay for parking permits that the council would probably not have enough staff to enforce them

#44 - John replied on the 17/06/2015 11:42:23 AM

You hit the nail right on the head there Janette. EVERYONE that has a car pays road tax and insurance so they are able to park on public roads. No one is guaranteed a parking space on public roads so you can't stop ANYONE parking on ANY public road if they wish including people that are parking to go to work. When you purchase a house you DONT purchase the public road outside. The only way you can make sure you have a parking space is by purchasing a private one.So people should stop attacking the workers who come to Dennistoun to work and park on PUBLIC roads as they pay their road tax and insurance just like the people who live here.

#45 - Boo replied on the 17/06/2015 12:18:42 PM

Have to agree with John. There are irresponsible drivers (as in all walks of life). If you want to moan about something, how about cyclists on pavements.

#46 - Janette replied on the 17/06/2015 12:37:48 PM

The workers also contribute a lot to local businesses aswell as I said if you can work with the owners of Citypark who rent the offices out I think it would go a large way to alleviating this issue public roads are exactly that .

#47 - anon replied on the 24/08/2015 4:32:22 PM

I'll just say a word of warning.

Last time I noted folk complaining to the council about parking they double yellowed the place and removed many parking spots.

Residents parking was pretty much halved in my area and the spaces where soon taken when you go off to work.

This all feeds back from the hospital and city park, as they restrict parking the workers move further into the residential part of Dennistoun.

#48 - CV3V replied on the 8/03/2017 2:46:52 PM

Residents parking seems to work in every other city, I lived in the New Town in Edinburgh where permits were required and the system works – I don’t want the guarantee of a space outside my door, but I think residents should have priority (for a whole host of reasons) to at least get parked nearby.

The parking problems have become worse due the council double yellowing all the empty roads around Hunter Street/Barack Street, imposing meters on Firpark Street, Duke Street etc which has forced the GRI and City Park employees further into Dennistoun. Council took a problem and made it worse. You cant have metered parking bays without residents parking permits (again, see Edinburgh).

#49 - anon replied on the 9/03/2017 11:31:04 AM

this has got ridiculous last few weeks, every corner rammed with cars!! so dangerous should a fire engine need in!

#50 - Concerned Dennistonnian replied on the 9/03/2017 1:27:43 PM

I've seen so many people just parking up on the pavement not even half parking but blatanly parking full on.

#51 - CV3V replied on the 24/03/2017 12:26:28 PM

They dont just park on the pavement, but also on the grass (have pics), in vehicle turning heads (making it a nightmare to try and turn round in a dead end road) and at all sorts of angles where the aim seems to be getting at least one part of the car close to the kerb.

#52 - Malarki replied on the 1/04/2017 3:51:36 PM

Government pavement parking consultation open and link to standard letter responding to it from Living Streets:

consult.scotland.gov.uk/road-policy/improving-parking-in-scotland/user_uploads/improving-parking-in-scotland.pdf

e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1719&ea.campaign.id=58863&ea.url.id=890510&forwarded=true

#53 - Dennistoun Resident replied on the 12/04/2017 1:38:26 PM

I understand revolving parking and I don't mind it, I understand I live in a area which is close proximity to one of Glasgow's major hospital and close to one of the biggest stadiums in the UK, however I spend at least 20 minutes every night trying to find a parking space unless the schools are off which indicates that issue isn't down to too many residents being car owners.
I have raised the issue of residential parking with the housing and will again as well as companies using parking what is already limited parking space for their advertisement trailers.

I would gladly pay for residential parking as would many other residents in the area.

#54 - CV3V replied on the 12/04/2017 6:36:03 PM

There is a residents parking permit system at the top end of Firpark Street, used by residents of the Bellway Homes development, ironic as they also have private parking spaces. Meantime, in the rest of Dennistoun we still have to fight it out with commuters from City Park, Royal Infirmary and commuters using Bellgrove station. The council haven’t helped by installing pay and display on the main roads, and Firpark Street which has pushed the commuters further into Dennistoun. So squeezed from all sides.

Glasgow City Council did not receive enough comment/complaint from Dennistoun residents to consider it for parking permits. Dennistoun was ranked 3rd and missed out. If people want to see something done about parking then they need to start making complaints to the council via their councillor (just send an email).

#55 - Paul replied on the 12/04/2017 6:36:45 PM

"I would gladly pay for residential parking"

Add me to that.

#56 - CV3V replied on the 13/04/2017 10:21:28 AM

If anyone has any concerns, complaints etc. then please let your councillor know and ask for it to be raised with Glasgow City Council. At the last parking consultation Dennistoun missed out due to not many complaints having been received from residents. So instead, parking controls are being introduced at Parkhead and Ibrox - for the 5 hrs per week when there is an issue (football season times only).

#57 - Alan replied on the 13/04/2017 10:22:15 AM

I wouldn't. We don't have the right to park in the area anymore than anyone else.

#58 - anon replied on the 13/04/2017 11:46:31 AM

i agree when you buy/rent a flat with street parking its the chance you take, but its bordering on dangerous at times! we are gorund floor and never use garden i would have loved to have convered it to a wee driveway :)

#59 - CV3V replied on the 13/04/2017 10:19:24 PM

Alan - in normal circumstances i would agree with you. But for that to apply the council would need to remove all the pay and display parking bays that surround the area, and the huge multi storey car parks at the GRI and High Street would need to be made free. I look forward to the day.

Meantime, there is a genuine problem for residents and as a community it would wrong to dismiss it.

Anon - unfortunately because of the parking issues in the area the council don't usually allow approval for drop kerbs in Dennistoun. It results in a loss of on street parking!

#60 - anon replied on the 13/05/2017 7:12:56 PM

I agree parking permits for residents is definitely the way to go.

It will not create more space but will give residents priority for a nominal fee.

#61 - G replied on the 22/07/2017 2:21:54 PM

Hi all,

I'm really fed up with all of the parking issues. I've tried complaining to the council and calling 101 when my street has been blocked.

The council say it's not their issue if they even bother to reply and to call the police. The police won't deal with it as it's not an emergency even when parking is so bad that larger vehicles can't pass. They were too busy.

It feels to me like the situation is getting worse and worse. Does anyone here have any suggestions on who to complain to or what to do about this?

#62 - CV3V replied on the 22/07/2017 3:58:29 PM

G - complain again via one of the councillors for the area. Complain to the community council too. Last year Dennistoun missed out on parking permits, reason given by council was that they hadn't received many complaints, and no formal complaint - but acknowledged there was a problem in the area.

#63 - G replied on the 23/07/2017 10:16:44 PM

Thank CV3V! I will.

I hope everyone else that's had enough does the same.

#64 - anon replied on the 24/07/2017 10:22:32 AM

the bit at duke street/armadale where the church is has to be made one way, thats an accident waiting to happen!! //

#65 - Anon replied on the 25/07/2017 10:47:11 AM

I agree about Armadale and Duke St, the parking there is crazy! Making the whole of Dennistoun (in the drives esp) a system of 1 way streets would help. Getting rid of the speed bumps would stop trashing our car (£500 for new coil springs!).
Marking parking spaces out so that people park responsibly would help too - the number of people that take up 2 or more spaces..... I could go on with my grumbles but it's early.

#66 - anon replied on the 25/07/2017 10:48:46 AM

I think there are a lot of accidents waiting to happen all over Dennistoun. Hopefully something will be done before something bad happens.

Can anyone provide details of who to submit complaints to? I would also like to complain but I'm not sure where to start.

#67 - CV3V replied on the 25/07/2017 11:41:13 AM

Anon - you can complain via councillors who will then pass onto the correct person in the council. The council who do count the number of complaints, so the more the better. //

#68 - Jacq replied on the 28/07/2017 9:24:59 PM

If you can make it along to Alexandra Park this weekend for the festival Dennistoun Community Council will be there asking you to give us feedback and your details so that we can let GCC know the scale of the problem
We are starting a 'Please Complain Campaign' through out Parking sub committee and will have lots of info to hand out on the best way to get your voice heard.
Next community council meeting is 8th Aug at Salvation Army Hall and you are welcome there too
Thanks
Jacq - Chair Dennistoun Community Council

#69 - Anon replied on the 31/07/2017 12:57:40 PM

Thanks Jacq! I like the sound of this.

I wasn't able to make it to the festival and I won't be able to attend the meeting. Is there somewhere else that I can get the information at all?

#70 - Jacq replied on the 2/08/2017 8:45:52 AM

Hi Anon

It will be on our website very soon - we have a parking sub committee who are working hard on making sure we reach as many residents as possible.
Best way to stay up to date is to check out the website regularly and if you enter your email address then you will get updates every time something is added to the site
Otherwise pass comments/concerns to hello@dennistouncc.org.uk and they will be passed to the relevant community councillor to get back to you.
We will be holding some drop ins locally soon too so will post on the forum when these are happening
Jacq - Chair Dennistoun Community Council
www.dennistouncc.org.uk

#71 - anon replied on the 10/08/2017 9:32:27 AM

parking enforcement now going to be out in the evenings, so stop with the double yellow line 'i'll move it in the morning carry on'

thanks!

#72 - Anon replied on the 11/08/2017 9:49:18 AM

Hi anon,

I've been told this will happen a few times before and it never has. Hope you are right this time.

#73 - anon replied on the 11/08/2017 2:29:35 PM

it was on cllr alan casey (snp) facebook and i saw a few comments of folk that got tickets

#74 - anon replied on the 14/08/2017 7:05:54 AM

Permits are to be introduced once they've dealt with Celtic park event parking.

#75 - CV3V replied on the 14/08/2017 1:18:51 PM

Anon - where do you get that information from? From what i have read and been provided by the council there is no intention to introduce permits in Dennistoun.

To introduce permits requires another public consultation, which takes about 2 years to complete. Permits are years away.

You can reply to the post Parking in the drives by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin