Searching for G. Aitkenhead

S cole posted on the 4/09/2016 11:59:13 AM

Can anyone help? I'm looking for a George Aitkenhead, or mets of his family. He used to live at 31 Edmund Street during thev50's. He was stationed in the Raf with my father, who is desperate to know what happened to him. If anyone can help, we would very much appreciate it!

#1 - joe mc dermott replied on the 4/09/2016 3:33:54 PM

Hi there my big brother Neil used to go around with George
we stayed in Ark Lane ,I know my brother met him years ago
sadly my brother has Altzimers now and is in a care home he also was in the RAF , I remember George myself im Neils wee brother Joe I wish I could help really sorry Joe Mc Dermott

#2 - Sian replied on the 4/09/2016 5:54:52 PM

Hi Joe, many thanks for taking the time to reply. Good to know I'm looking in the right area anyway! Hopefully someone might know what happened to him.. Wishing you and your brother well. Sian Cole.

#3 - anon replied on the 4/09/2016 6:46:44 PM

Hi Joe, just a bit more...
My father Max stayed with George in around 1957 at Edmund St. They went round listening to the jazz bands. George was singing with the Clyde Valley Stompers... He had a fantastic time. Should you hear any more, we would be pleased to hear. They were very close mates in RAF Scanpton, Lincoln. He has a photograph of George leaving to go to the RAF taken by the Scottish Daily newspaper!!
Thanks again, Sian

#4 - jeanette replied on the 4/09/2016 11:48:15 PM

I remember the name George Aitkenhead but can't put a face to it. I lived at number 34 in the 50s so I'm guessing 31 was across the road. If you can get in touch with Samuel Daly who lived in the next close to me,he usually recalls everyone. He was on Friends Reunited at one time but since that's now defunct you may wish to see if he's on Facebook. Alternatively, I think Joe McDermott may know how to contact him. Good Luck.

#5 - Joe mc d replied on the 5/09/2016 7:42:41 PM

hi Sian yep my brother was into trad jazz too , I remember going into the the old Iona community center in clyde st IE the seamans mission we used to go there and play records in the basemant , One night I accidently went in the wrong door and clyde valley stompers were rehearsing great memmories cheers Joe

#6 - joe mc dermott replied on the 6/09/2016 7:12:03 PM

Hi again sian I have been in touch with Neils Daughter Gwen to see iff she has Neils old phone book to see iff Georges
number is in it cheers Joe

#7 - Sian replied on the 6/09/2016 9:32:26 PM

Hi Joe,
That is really kind of you... Thank you.

#8 - Sian replied on the 6/09/2016 9:33:45 PM

Hi Jeanette, many thanks for your reply. Maybe I will try that thank you!

You can reply to the post Searching for G. Aitkenhead by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin