Smelly Chimney

James M posted on the 12/07/2016 9:47:37 AM

Do any of the old-timers remember a tall chimney in the area of the Bluevale flats that used to belch the most disgusting smelly smoke? I seem to recall it was knocked down in the late 70s early 80s.

Any idea what it was?

#1 - The Mentalist replied on the 12/07/2016 12:56:31 PM

My granny lived in Whitevale flats and I remember it. I think it sat where the Home Bargains shop is now. It was horrible. There were a lot of s****yards around there at the time. According to really old maps on the NLS site, there were chemical works there at one point. I think it was taken down in the early 80s.

#2 - Robo replied on the 17/07/2016 7:56:39 PM

Yes it was the bone works the s**** yard used to be there too

#3 - Craig replied on the 9/08/2016 8:53:26 PM

Hi James,

If you are referring to the area around the bottom of Millerston Street (The old Glenpark road - back of retail park) This company was whom NORIT UK relocated some 20+ years ago to Cambuslang.

#4 - Craig replied on the 9/08/2016 11:26:03 PM

Sorry meant to add was known as the 'Chemical Works'

Craig

You can reply to the post Smelly Chimney by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin