The Great Billboard Mystery

Mikey O'B posted on the 29/06/2017 11:11:30 AM

Just wondered if anyone knew what was going on with the structure at the west end of Alexandra Parade, near the Royal Infirmary? It looks like it may be a billboard or something similar. It started being built and painted about a fortnight ago and then completely disappeared, but it has now returned! Elvis himself would have been proud of such a comeback. The only thing that is certain about this - it is a bloody monstrosity.

#1 - Jig replied on the 29/06/2017 11:26:38 AM

It certainly is a monstrosity! Surely the Council would need to have been consulted on this? Perhaps the planning documents can be sought. A friend of mine - who works for a construction company - told me he had heard that it was being built to promote the reopening of The Vale, but he couldn't say for sure.

#2 - Dennistonian replied on the 29/06/2017 11:36:44 AM

Whats 'The Vale?'

#3 - Jennie replied on the 29/06/2017 12:50:18 PM

Jig, could you tell me where you got your information from about this sign promoting the vale? My man and his friend mr murphy will be happy if your information is correct.can you obtain the planning documents or do you know someone who could, say in the council or government offices? I am keen to find out more about this mystery sign please keep me informed of any information you have

#4 - CV3V replied on the 29/06/2017 12:51:08 PM

The board has planning permission, was granted months back IIRC. Digital billboard, double sided, with the surrounding area to be landscaped and some seating. Drawings are on council planning portal.

I am hoping that as its still being constructed that the finished product will look much better than how it looks now.

#5 - stevespiros replied on the 29/06/2017 2:33:14 PM

not sure about this idea. seems stupid and a waste of money. dont think ppl will want to sit on seats next to silly promotional board.

#6 - CV3V replied on the 29/06/2017 2:58:45 PM

If anyone wants to see the drawings for this they are on the council planning website.

#7 - The Mentalist replied on the 30/06/2017 8:44:20 AM

"not sure about this idea. seems stupid and a waste of money. dont think ppl will want to sit on seats next to silly promotional board"

It does look like a monstrosity.

#8 - curiouscat replied on the 30/06/2017 11:49:25 AM

How did the people in the flats agree to that? Were they consulted? Did they know? It looks ridiculous!

#9 - CV3V replied on the 1/07/2017 11:27:55 AM

There was just the one resident objection. I don't think people knew or realised the size of the thing, its monumental!

#10 - yuv replied on the 2/07/2017 12:02:02 PM

Its better than nothing, on an un-cut green belt that people were throwing rubbish in.

Dennistoun is terrible for grass maintenance.

#11 - The Mentalist replied on the 2/07/2017 9:15:08 PM

Yuv, by the looks of it, nothing would be better.

#12 - CV3V replied on the 4/07/2017 9:51:12 AM

Yuv, all valid points but if people want to see the area improved then we all need to complain to the council about litter, grass cutting etc. I have made a few complaints this year and have seen some actions taken (much to my surprise). Its easy to complain via councillors.

Given the size of that display board I guess the owner wants it seen from the motorway.

#13 - Hello replied on the 6/07/2017 9:54:00 AM

"Nothing" was there for 10 years and it was an even bigger eyesore

Plenty of time for someone to have tried to do something noble with the land, but there were no takers

#14 - MAR replied on the 6/07/2017 12:31:20 PM

'The Vale' is the pub that was across from Queen Street station and being developed into a temporary ticket office by Scotrail, or are they..........?

You can reply to the post The Great Billboard Mystery by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin