Waste food bins

anon posted on the 16/08/2016 7:20:56 PM

We have had waste food wheelie bins delivered to our back court (along with indoor caddies) in the leaflet that came with it it stated that uncooked fruit and vegetables could be disposed of in it so I was wondering if it would also be okay to dispose of other plant waste like grass cutting in it

#1 - Anon replied on the 17/08/2016 11:23:02 AM

NO! Grass cuttings should be mulched or composted (As should uncooked fruit, veg, teabags and coffee grounds but that's another moan). It's FOOD waste NOT garden waste. Call the number to confirm.

#2 - Dennistonian replied on the 17/08/2016 2:10:52 PM

I have been given a brown bin for garden waste.

#3 - jack replied on the 18/08/2016 7:56:45 AM

I have been thinking the very same thing, after all if you can put in uncooked 'plant' waste such as fruit and veg then why not other types of uncooked plant waste like grass/hedge cuttings as they can also bee turned into fertiliser - the only thing is that you are supposed to put everything in compostable bags and I don't know if they make compostable bags big enough or strong enough for grass and hedge clippings

#4 - Anon replied on the 18/08/2016 10:22:55 AM

We should ALL have brown bins for garden waste. I feel peeved that we are so slow on the environmental aspects of waste management in Glasgow as a whole. Years ago the council sold compost bins cheaply and we have compost in our common garden which anyone can use for gardening in the space. They don't sell them any more :( Grass cuttings are just left to mulch down. There is a green waste skip up at Queenslie but the petrol used to get there kind of defeats the purpose! A brown bin would be very useful in our garden and I am sure in many other gardens round the city. The only issue now is that we have so many bins in our green, you can hardly get to use the garden!!!

#5 - Malarki replied on the 18/08/2016 7:50:20 PM

We've a brown bin and were recently provided with a caddy ... The contents of which are to be put in the brown bin. So can't see that the council should have any objections.

#6 - anon_l replied on the 19/08/2016 3:41:15 PM

We've just been provided with a food waste caddy however we havent been told where to leave it, where to dispense of the content etc. Helpful! We also have a paper recycling bag which again i have no idea where its meant to go.

#7 - jakie replied on the 19/08/2016 7:09:55 PM

@anon_l, have you not been provided with a grey wheelie bin in your back court for food waste and a blue wheelie bin also in the back court for paper/plastic/tin recycling. you can phone up the councils bins and recycling centre to report missing blue and grey wheelie bins on Phone 0141 287 9700

#8 - Pat replied on the 20/08/2016 12:16:19 AM

I wish we could get a glass recycling bin in our back court. Sick of lunking the stuff down the road!

#9 - Anon_l replied on the 20/08/2016 5:24:49 PM

Where I stay we don't have a back court. The bins are kept in a bin shed which is part of the block of flats. There's no room for any new bins. I'll need to call the council

#10 - Doll replied on the 21/08/2016 12:14:25 PM

I'm in the Finlay Drive block of the Village and we have no grey bin either! I phoned GCC and they said they are still in the process of providing them!

#11 - Anon_l replied on the 21/08/2016 8:05:46 PM

Ours appeared this morning. Wonder how long they'll last till they're set on fire

You can reply to the post Waste food bins by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin