anyone see the piece in the evening times about the bins in dennistoun

#1 - anon replied on the 18/05/2016 12:36:32 PM

Pictures seem to be of Parkhead?

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/
14499651.VIDEO__Live_in_Dennistoun__
Sick_of_the_the_rubbish_in_the_back_courts__
You_are_not_alone___/

#2 - Bin lover replied on the 18/05/2016 12:49:25 PM

What gets me about the pictures in the article is that most of the rubbish lying around is recyclable and so should be in the blue bin. People have to start changing their way of thinking esp when it comes to communal closes and bin areas. We got an extra blue bin and they are both full every week for emptying. We bought (for £8) some more bins for out the back so that their is the equivalent number of bins for close. We all need to stop wasting so much stuff. 1 bag a week absolute max should be going into the bins per flat (with 2 people in). No need for any more than that. With effective recycling, this can be reduced to 1 bag a fortnight. Reduce, reuse, recycle isn't the phrase of the moment for nothing. Buy less, reuse more and recycle everything. that and sweep out the bin areas now and again (takes 2 mins) and pictures like the article showed will become a thing of the past. If there's a rat problem, the council have a responsibility to sort it out. Frankly, John McInnes needs to have a word with his neighbours and together they can stop the issues outlined in the article.

#3 - anon replied on the 18/05/2016 1:41:54 PM

yes seems its mainly park head yet dennistoun gets the headline!

#4 - Mort replied on the 18/05/2016 7:34:47 PM

Go to Maryhill, Govanhill, Parkhead, Haghill etc - It's a citywide problem.

You should see the pile of rubbish/building waste behind Walter Street/Aberfoyle Street. Looks like a stand off between the housing association and the private landlords but while that's going on it's getting bigger and bigger.

At the end of the day this comes down to old school pride in your area and for whatever reason is severely lacking with a lot of people in todays society.

I've just moved out of a flat in Haghill to a house in Garrowhill (woop dee doo) But honestly - what a world of difference it is now having control of my own bins. Everything goes where it's supposed to - it's not difficult. As a keen recycler I'd go down the close stairs with my 10p supermarket bag full of a couple days worth of cardboard, plastic etc. I open the blue bin and there's 24 empty Budweiser bottles - oh and the box so well done for recycling that. So I'd move to the next one which was usually rammed with black bags. The normal black bag bins are two seconds away. I don't mean in the famous phrase kind of two seconds. I mean actually two seconds away. There are bottle banks within short walking distance so there's no excuse there either. I'd be able to always use the third blue bin as it was about a four second walk so you could always bet on that one being empty.

Bin Lover - I share your sentiment about the neighbours getting together but a lot of them just do not care. There's an anonymity in the back courts where you can just sneak down and dump what you like. Off on a tangent there was an episode of the Simpson's years ago where Homer ran the bin trucks in the city and the tag line for them was 'Can't someone else do it?' There are many people living with that attitude and I've always found it sad and ultimately frustrating.

#5 - Concerned replied on the 18/05/2016 10:32:53 PM

Yeah, its in Parkhead. Lazy sensationalist journalism that could potentially have a damaging impact on food traders in Dennistoun by suggesting rat infestation in area.

#6 - anon_l replied on the 19/05/2016 12:47:38 AM

Id love to recycle but there's no recylic bin's available. My flat has a rubbish shute however the shute aims the rubbish in between the 2 metal bins in the shed so you can imagine the state of the place. Nappy, take away cartons, bags of rubbish. It also gets stuck half way down so imagine the smell. It's regularly reported but the residents in my block just don't care and so it continues.

#7 - Rea Cycle replied on the 25/05/2016 10:26:03 AM

You can phone up the council and request blue/recycling bins. They don't cost anything and they're only more than happy to send them as they want to encourage folk to recycle more.

We didn't have any recycling/blue bins when we first moved to Dennistoun and the bin area was a state. For the few weeks I wasn't able to recycle I soon realised just how much more rubbish you generate when you don't recycle. Recycling is really not hard so I just don't understand why folk don't do it...

I think the council and higher up need to really get us all into recycling like in other countries where it is 2nd nature. Folk need to have a bit more pride in their bin areas! :-)

#8 - anon replied on the 28/05/2016 9:25:16 PM

I also have a bin chute in my block and am sick of it being continually blocked with everything from bags that are too large to go down it to duvets and much more, it also smells awful when it gets blocked and takes ages to clear. I have asked the factors on numerous occasions to block it up and put large recycling bins outside but to no avail. They say the recycling bins just get contaminated with ordinary rubbish. Individual bins for our flats would be impossible. Nowhere to store them (23 flats in my block alone). I collect my recycling and make a weekly trp to recycling at Morrisons but would be much handier if we had on site.

#9 - not a spade replied on the 31/05/2016 9:53:51 AM

does anyone know of a company that you can pay to clean up a back court, I have cleaned it myself a few times already but it becomes a mess again a few weeks later.
I don't mind going door to door collecting everyone contribution to the bill myself

#10 - curiouscat replied on the 31/05/2016 10:54:51 AM

Google "communal bin area cleaner Glasgow" and you get loads of results.

#11 - Rex replied on the 21/06/2016 2:22:11 PM

The area behind the flats on Hillfoot STreet are really bad too. I have emailed Env Health 4 times in 3 months and been completely ignored. I have tried cleaning it but the smell and amount of stagnant water makes it impossible without possibly flooding the shops underneath the flats.
I asked the letting agent about it and they say the Factors will do nothing about it due to the amount of debt that is owed to them from the tenants in all the flats surrounding that area.

Thats great for me who tries to play by the rules.

Some folk are just minging

#12 - Dennistonian replied on the 21/06/2016 11:51:46 PM

I would still contact the Factors.

You can reply to the post bins by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin