plumbing/ factoring problems

Fiona Nixon posted on the 9/04/2017 3:32:10 AM

Hi,
I'm home owner in a flat in one of the traditional tenements. My factor has recently slammed me with a £250 charge to pay for problems with the rising cold water and sewage pipes on the other side of the tenement. My deeds say I'm liable for pipes used in common or mutually with other proprietors. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include these pipes. Has anyone had similar plumbing and/or factor problems? Would love to hear about it.

#1 - anon replied on the 10/04/2017 1:52:04 AM

If your sewage pipes etc aren't council responsibility then they might be classed as a common area. Factors will have a cash amount that they can spend of your money without consulting you, with our factors this amount is £250 and if it's an emergency repair or a repair to stop further damage they can instruct the repair without consulting you. Do you have a copy of the factors written statement of services? By law they have to give you this and it should detail what services they provide and the amount of this cash maximum amount.

#2 - Frank Plowright replied on the 10/04/2017 10:03:27 AM

There's lots of advice to be found on upkeep and management of properties on the Under One Roof website.

#3 - curiouscat replied on the 10/04/2017 11:14:16 AM

Have a look at "The tenement management scheme" which was introduced in 2004 - loads of info there too.
When you say the other side of the tenement, do you mean the same close? if so, the rising cold water main and the sewage pipe probably ARE common. That's the way it is in our close. Good luck.

#4 - Peter Douglas replied on the 16/05/2017 8:41:37 PM

The water supply pipes are communal to the building if they serve more than one flat. This also means the one serving your neighbours across the landing. Typically the main enters at the close entrance & branch under the back close to rise either in the kitchen (usually at the window) or in the bathroom.

You can reply to the post plumbing/ factoring problems by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin